So I actually had started a draft of a post for last week’s episode with the line “If I thought last week was boring it was nothing compared to this week.” I figured, if an episode was that boring, not that many people wanted to read about it and I didn’t want to attempt to formulate coherent or interesting thoughts about an episode that just was not interesting. So I didn’t.
Hometowns, on the other hand, were pretty interesting. So let’s get to those.
1. First up was Chase, someone who I thought was clearly in fourth place going into this week. He surprised me, by actually speaking, and I have to say I warmed up to him a little bit. It was nice to see him open up to JoJo about his parents’ divorce, and try and explain to her why it is hard for him to share his feelings.
Chase takes JoJo to his house, where she meets his dad (Does anyone else find it funny that if JoJo ended up with Chase and moved to live with him, she would basically live in the same town as Ben and Lauren? Do you think they’d go on double dates?). His parents aren’t on good terms since their divorce, so any family events are held separately. I was happy to see that Chase has a close enough relationship with his dad that he wanted him to meet the girl that he loves. At night, Chase and JoJo visit his mom and stepdad’s house, where she meets the rest of the McNary clan. Chase’s mom looks like a real good time, and I think JoJo fit in the best with this family. Chase seemed so emotional during this part of the date, especially while talking to his mom. To me, it seemed like he wanted to tell JoJo he loved her so badly, but just physically couldn’t. When it was time for JoJo to leave, Chase awkwardly blurted out that he loved her. It wasn’t the most eloquent declaration of love but at least he said it (cough, cough Luke).
The next hometown was Jordan, who will get his own section. I’m fascinated by the Rodgers family dynamic, and I’ve done a good bit of research on it.
Robby’s date was next, and it came with its fair share of drama. During the day, Robby and JoJo went on a carriage ride around historic Saint Augustine, Florida and then had lunch. During this portion of the date Robby says more than once “when I told you I loved you in Uruguay,” as if he wants it to be known that he told her before anyone else. Who am I kidding, of course he wants to remind her of that?
Robby’s family seem like nice, southern people and from certain angles his mom reminds me of a brunette Paula Deen. JoJo even tells her that she is falling in love with Robby – something she hasn’t told anyone yet! However, all of this love and good feelings aren’t going to last because Robby’s mom has something to tell him.
Apparently, Robby’s ex-girlfriend Hope’s roommate (got all that) has been spreading rumors that Robby broke up with Hope in order to go on the Bachelorette (further fueled by Chad-bear’s now infamous Instagram post). Robby swears up and down that this isn’t true, and I’m inclined to believe him, simply because his mom seems like such a nice lady. Robby wants to address this with JoJo immediately, as she has had doubts about the time in between the end of his four-year relationship and him coming onto the show. This development, understandably, freaks her out and you can see JoJo wavering in her trust for Robby. Eventually, those Ken good looks win out, and she says that she trusts and believes him.
On the last hometown, JoJo visits Luke and his family in an old-timey Western. Seriously, thats exactly what the town of Burnet looks like. It’s no bother though, Luke drives a truck, and JoJo can rock cut-offs and cowgirl boots like its her job. He takes her to a cookout at his parents’ house where she meets his family and about 50 of his closest friends. They eat BBQ and play cornhole and seem to have an all around good time.
Luke has a really sweet heart to heart with his dad about love and when you know you’ve found the one. His dad tells him how proud he is that Luke has fought for our country and is so grateful that he came home safe. Luke’s dad, a real Texas cowboy, gets teary eyed during this exchange, and I do too.
After dinner, Luke takes JoJo out into the fields to hang out on a really cute hay bale couch. He shares his feelings, they have a make-out montage (with some suspicious hand placement) to the Dan + Shay song that was played on their first one-on-one date and he never says those three little words. Get it together Luke.
2. Jordan’s hometown date was the most interesting, mainly because of the giant elephant in the room named Aaron Rodgers. JoJo sneakily tries to get intel about the situation throughout the date, like when she asks whether a picture is of Aaron in the high school and Jordan dismissively says “yeah”, and does not provide any further information. On a semi-related note, what is with these guys taking girls to their high schools when they are in their home towns. Ben did it last season , with eventual winner Lauren, and now Jordan is doing it with JoJo. I don’t know about you but a high school doesn’t seem like a really fun activity. I’ll take BBQ and corn hole any day. Also, making out in a high school library is creepy.
At the Rodgers’ house, JoJo meets Jordan’s parents, his brother Luke, and Luke’s girlfriend. She asks Luke about Aaron again, and he says “its something that we really like talking about a whole lot”. The absence of Aaron Rodgers is the theme of the entire date, as much as Jordan said it didn’t have to be an issue. I guess ABC had other ideas.
There is a great Ringer article about the disintegration of the Rodgers family relationships, which you can read here. It’s really fascinating stuff. The relationship had to have fallen apart sometime after 2014, when Jordan can be seen in the Green Bay Packer’s scene of Pitch Perfect 2.
Seriously, were they just trying to pass him off as Aaron? He was never a Packer.
The only way Jordan could have gotten this cameo was through older brother Aaron. Another thing about the Pitch Perfect cameo, is it plays into the rumors about Jordan wanting to be on the show to find fame. Clearly, if he wanted to be featured in an a cappella movie with a team that he wasn’t apart of, the limelight appeals to him at least a little bit.
At one point in the episode, Jordan mentions how much he misses his brother. I’m just not sure that airing your family’s dirty laundry on a popular, and much gossiped about, TV show is the way to mend those fences. Maybe its just a public cry for reconciliation? Only time will tell.
3. The rose ceremony is being held in an airplane hangar, with the men who get roses heading directly onto the plane and being swept to the next exotic destination. JoJo says that she knows what she has to do, and that is send home Luke. HOLD THE PHONE. LUKE?!? I can only assume that this is because he is the only one who hasn’t dropped the L-bomb on her. She’s visibly upset, and unsure if that is because she is just very emotional, or if it is because she is making the wrong decision.
Luckily for Luke, he asks to speak to her before she starts handing out roses. He wants to make it very clear that when he told her that she had his heart, saying, “and you know how I told you that at the end of the night my heart is yours. Then when you left I felt like not only did I want to tell you that but I needed to tell you that I’m in love with you. I didn’t get to tell you that that night and its been the only thing that’s been on my mind since then.” JoJo thanks him for telling her this information and walks off to talk to the producers. However, all of this is too much for JoJo to handle, as now she doesn’t know what to do. We leave the episode with JoJo SOBBING outside and a somber TO BE CONTINUED… over the image. You have GOT to be kidding me.
Kristen Baldwin (@KristenGBaldwin) July 19, 2016
Tonight Jojo will be meeting Luke's mom Susie, his dad Bill, his sister Abby and still not Aaron Rodgers. #TheBachelorette—
Dana Weiss (@Possessionista) July 19, 2016
Kaitlyn Bristowe (@kaitlynbristowe) July 19, 2016
1. I loved this oversized sweater JoJo wore on her hometown date with Chase. JoJo’s exact sweater is Line, and I can’t find it available online. A sleeveless oversized sweater by the same brand can be found here, and if you’re looking for a full own blanket sweater, some similar options can be found here and here (same brand!).
2. JoJo’s laid-back Texas look is on my radar to be recreated for the Luke Bryan concert next weekend. Her exact shirt is Bebe and can be found here.
3. Luke was the best dressed man for me this week. By now, everyone knows I’m a sucker for gingham.
Who do you think makes it to the fantasy suites? There is no way she sends Luke, the romance cowboy, home, right? Let me know in the comments!
P.S. If you haven’t seen it, check out this video of Wells drunkenly snapchatting the show. It’s great!